Help & Advice

Dorset Special Educational Needs Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

SENDIASS offers independent information and support to parents and carers of children with special educational needs (SEN).

We are a free, impartial and confidential service who provide information, advice and support to:

  • children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs (SEN) and/or a disability
  • parents and carers of children and young people with SEN and/or a disability

We work with:

  • the Local Council
  • education and training providers
  • the Voluntary sector
  • other agencies

We aim for parents and carers, children and young people to play an informed part in:

  • planning provision
  • agreeing outcomes to meet SEN

What support can we provide?

SENDIASS Officers are trained in SEN. They will help you:

  • to express your views for your assessment or for meetings
  • if there’s a disagreement
  • find other support
  • by listening to your concerns and talking about your choices/options

Contact us

For more information, contact the SENDIASS Team.

Speak to the SENIDASS officer for:

Services and support groups

See the table for details of independent services who can provide additional support to your child/family alongside our work. To receive support, please contact the services.

The service/group What they do
National Information, Advice and Support Service Network (opens in a new window) The National Information, Advice and Support Service supports IAS Services across England.
The Council for Disabled Children (opens in a new window) The Council for Disabled Children are the  body for the disabled children’s sector in England. They have links to other UK nations.
Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA) (opens in a new window) IPSEA is a national charity. They provide free legal based advice to families who have children with SEN.
The Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST) (opens in a new window) The SENDIST handle appeals against a Local Councils decisions about the education of children with SEN.
Equality Advisory Support Service (opens in a new window) The EASS provides free advice and guidance to individuals who believe that they have:

  • been a victim of discrimination
  • had their human rights breached
The Xchange (opens in a new window) The Xchange is an interactive news and information network for children who are disabled across Dorset.
Dorset Parent Carer Council (DPCC) (opens in a new window) The DPCC is a group run by parents. They aim to inform all agencies and services about the needs of disabled children and their families in Dorset.
Autism Wessex (opens in a new window) Autism Wessex is a regional charity. They provide specialist services for people affected by autism and associated difficulties across:

  • Dorset
  • Somerset
  • Hampshire
  • Wiltshire
Coping with Chaos (opens in a new window) This group supports families caring for a child or young person with a disability or SEN living in:

  • Dorset
  • Bournemouth
  • Poole
SIBS (opens in a new window) SIBS is a UK charity. They represent the needs of brothers and sisters of disabled children and adults.
A-Stars (opens in a new window) A-Stars is a club for children over 5 and young adults (and their families) with:

  • Asperger’s Syndrome
  • an autism related condition (ASC)

DfE Guidance:

SEND Code of Practice – January 2015

Keeping Children Safe in Education Sept 2016

Parental Responsibility Measures for School Attendance and Behaviour

Children Missing Education – Statutory Guidance Sept 2016

Promoting the Educational Achievement of Looked After Children

Exclusion from Maintained Schools, Academies and Pupil Referral Units

Use of Reasonable Force – advice – July 2013

Queries regarding either school site can be answered by our dedicated administration team:

Ms Conley,
Ms Fluskey


01202 471 410